Camping in Grizzly Country: Glacier, Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks
Two weeks ago we took one of the most amazing and memorable road trips we’ve had in a long time. From our home in Northern Nevada, we completed a 2,661 mile loop in nine days and traveled through Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton National Parks. It was a trip we had been planning since the beginning of the year, and it did not disappoint.
Glacier National Park has been on the top of my bucket list for a long time. In addition to the stunning scenery and glassy alpine lakes, there is something enchanting about the truly wild area. I’ve run into my fair share of wildlife growing up in Lake Tahoe, but the idea of grizzly bears, black bears, mountain goats, big horn sheep, and moose in the same area you are camping, is pretty exciting.
When we started to plan, we had our sights set on Glacier as the main destination. Then, as we further studied our route and maps, we fell in love with the idea of hitting two other parks that are up that way, Yellowstone and Grand Teton. It was a bit ambitious, but we felt that since we were up that way, we needed to fit them in since we had never seen either.
Our final itinerary consisted of two days driving to Glacier, two nights in Glacier, one day driving to Yellowstone, one night in Yellowstone, one day driving to Grand Teton, one night in Grand Teton, and two days driving home.
Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton Itinerary
- Day 1: Drive from Reno, NV to Cold Springs Campground, ID – 514mi
- Day 2: Drive from Cold Springs Campground, ID to Wayfarer Campground, MT (Flathead Lake) – 480mi
- Day 3: Drive from Wayfarer Campground, MT to Bowman Lake Campground (Glacier) – 71mi
- Day 4: Relax, hike, fish, and paint at Bowman Lake – 0mi
- Day 5: Drive from Bowman Lake through Glacier via Going to the Sun Road to Hood Creek Campground, MT – 396mi
- Day 6: Drive from Hood Creek Campground, MT to Canyon Campground, WY (Yellowstone) and stop at Old Faithful/Upper Geyser Basin – 179mi
- Day 7: Drive from Canyon Campground, WY to Jackson to Lizard Creek Campground, WY (Grand Teton) – 163mi
- Day 8: Drive from Lizard Creek Campground, WY to Elko, NV – 461mi
- Day 9: Drive from Elko, NV to home – 293mi
We packed as much in as we could and made sure to see some major attractions at each stop along the way. In hindsight, we probably should have allowed more time at each park to fully take it in. However, given our work schedules, we made what we could work with one week off. We spent a lot of time in the truck driving, and less time exploring the beautiful areas. Either way, it was a great trip and we found some amazing spots we can’t wait to explore more… with a little more time planned for each.
Check out the video below to follow along as we make our way through the parks, find some great places to camp, and find lots of wildlife… including a grizzly (that was camera shy).